Here’s what to look for and how to take care of your most intimate essentials.
When investing in lingerie make quality, comfort and fit a priority. It’s all about creating a great foundation so your clothes look good on top.
- Get fitted! Most lingerie departments and specialty shops have experts who are there to help you find the right size of bras and shapewear. So don’t be shy-ask for advice.
- Every wardrobe should include basics that include seamless underwear and simple designs with minimal details. The bottom line is to create a smooth silhouette.
- Colour matters. Wear dark colours under dark clothing and light tones under light fabrics.
- Everyone should own at least one nude t-shirt bra! It’s the little black dress of lingerie.
- Read the care labels before you buy. Generally, hand washing is recommended.
- Soak pieces (keep dark and light knickers separate) in cool or lukewarm water with a gentle washing powder making sure the powder is completely dissolved.
- Rinse in lukewarm water.
- Prefer machine washing? Then make sure to use a mesh lingerie bag to prevent twisting and bunching and make sure to fasten bra hooks so they don’t catch on any lace or fragile details.
- Set the temperature on low and use the short delicate cycle.
- Roll garments in a towel to remove excess water and let air dry on a flat surface. Padded bras should be gently re-shaped and hung to dry.